Reply To: 21yo Woman with ADHD and Newly diagnosed with ASD…. HELP

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls 21yo Woman with ADHD and Newly diagnosed with ASD…. HELP Reply To: 21yo Woman with ADHD and Newly diagnosed with ASD…. HELP

Spooktaffy
Participant

I am a 49 yo woman who has been treated for adhd for about 10 years and was diagnosed with ASD mild at age 43. I am also a pediatrician and never saw that diagnosis coming, for i had only practiced in an emergency department at the time. I did not know much about it. I was both relieved and reevaluating everything in my life from an “Aspie” perspective. I have to say, it is still hard in a lot of ways. I have gotten a lot of support, but also harassed by other pediatricians. I have been fired for poor social skills in Feb 2020. My career requires a lot of communication so i hung on so far but it is not getting easier. I have a new job i should start in late aug so things are looking up. I would love to help you navigate your diagnoses. I am married to a man who mostly understands me, and have 2 kids. My almost 12 yo son is “neurotypical” and my 9 yo daughter has mild autism and severe adhd.