Reply To: Built up tolerance to 20mg XR — how long a break to restore effectiveness?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Built up tolerance to 20mg XR — how long a break to restore effectiveness? Reply To: Built up tolerance to 20mg XR — how long a break to restore effectiveness?

sanctuary 92
Participant

You need another dose. I take 20mg XR in the morning and 10mg IR in the afternoon. It changed my life. I don’t take the IR every day, some days I skip totally. Other days I just take 5mg. When I don’t have much going on I often will not take the the 20mg XR. I will just take the 10mg IR so I don’t feel groggy. But all of this helps a lot and makes the doses much more flexible and efficient. Also I make sure I take vitamins and supplements which help keep me healthy and help Adderall work better. Things like magnesium are said to help it work better and also it helps in general as most people are deficient in it.

Javid, you are wrong about “afterlife”. It’s called half life and it refers to how long it takes half of the drug to leave your system. Half-life for Adderall is 14 hours. So if I take 20mg, in 14 hours I will have 10mg still technically in my system. The effects of Adderall are only felt for a short time but this half life is part of why Adderall can cause insomnia and lack of hunger even if you don’t *feel* it anymore.

If you actually take Adderall everyday, it builds up in your system and your body becomes physically “addicted”. As in, it does not produce as much dopamine itself because it is accustomed to receiving it via Adderall. If you only took Adderall once, you wouldn’t have a tolerance. But if you take it everyday you’re going to need to take a long break to truly reset your body. It could take months or years for your body to return to a normal dopamine producing state. A real “break” isn’t needed, so long as you take multiple doses a day and can skip doses whenever possible.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by sanctuary 92.