Reply To: Coping with Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria… Tips? Advice? Guidance?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame Coping with Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria… Tips? Advice? Guidance? Reply To: Coping with Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria… Tips? Advice? Guidance?

CMH
Participant

Wow!! You could have been describing me with just a few minor changes. I was diagnosed at 35. I did the same thing with relationships. I’m really struggling with RSD right now.

I reconnected with someone who I dated in high school. Our chemistry was off the charts, just as it was over 30 years ago, and we talked about anything and everything. He had recently separated from his wife when we started communicating. It has subsequently turned into a difficult divorce. He couldn’t cope with the emotional overload, so he ended things with me.

This has been loaded with land my mines for me. Thoughts of “Was it my fault?”, “Am I flawed or too much work?”, “How could he just stop caring?”, “No one will ever be able to love me.”,etc. I’m incessantly running through my head. I have been riding a huge wave of depression and anxiety over this.

When the emotions are literally making it unable for me to do anything and I can’t stop the hamster wheel of ruminating, complete distraction by watching a movie has helped. It cuts the cycle long enough for the anxiety to drop and I can think rationally. Right now, anything that can grab my attention and focus works. Also, mindfulness and telling myself it will all work out, self kindness, help more once I’ve broken the cycle. It’s still a work in progress.