Reply To: ADHD or JUST A SHITTY PERSON?

ClaireT
Participant

Hi Natalee

Well done for sharing your experience here. It’s wonderful that you’re getting an evaluation so that you can find out for sure what’s going on.

ADHD isn’t a fixed picture, it’s a continuum and people sit in different places along the continuum in relation to different aspects of behaviour. Also, the ADHD picture can be different at different times for an individual.

While ADHD can be tricky at times, there’s so much we can do about it once we understand what’s happening. For example, the boredom feeling which can be really painful, as you say, is (as I understand it, and I’m not a physician), due to low dopamine levels in the pre-frontal cortex of the brain. Because of that, we find ourselves feeling bored and lacking the motivation to do anything about it. A double-whammy that can leave us feeling a little stuck.

Good natural ways to give yourself a boost of your own neurochemicals such as dopamine are;
1. Go for a walk or a even better a run if you’re up for it
2. Listen to some music you like (and if you’re up for a little boogie in your own living-space, even better)
3. Do some mindfulness meditation e.g. so close your eyes and focus on your breath without altering the breath (even 5 minutes would help).

There is research that shows that these things work! Any one of these might help shift that boredom feeling (which will go away by itself anyway in time).

And, one of my favourite ways is having a cup of tea (I tend to drink black tea with milk, but green tea is great too). The caffeine and L-theanine in tea give me that boost that calms the boredom feeling.

Anyway, I hope this response is a useful in some way.

Take care of yourself.

Claire x

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by ClaireT.
  • This reply was modified 5 months ago by ClaireT.