Reply To: After being perscribed adderall for 10 years. Today my doctor drug tested me.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame After being perscribed adderall for 10 years. Today my doctor drug tested me. Reply To: After being perscribed adderall for 10 years. Today my doctor drug tested me.

13TurtleTops
Participant

I’ve been taking my ADHD medication responsibly for 14 years now. I’m a 36 year old educated professional. I volunteer, I’m on the board of directors for a national non-profit, I’m respected in my industry and I’ve worked very hard to build a good and honest life for myself and to be a contributing member of my community.

My previous doctor recently retired, so I had to transfer care. Suddenly, I find myself always worried about being perceived as an addict or criminal.

I do not take my meds as prescribed. I never have. I don’t take them on the weekends or while on vacation. I take breaks sometimes too. Ex: 5 years ago I decided to dramatically reduced my dose for 3 months to help me quit smoking. I haven’t had a cigarette in 5 years. I knew it was going to impact my ability to focus at work. But, felt a 3-month lag in my productivity was worth saving myself from lung cancer. I’m an adult and I made a choice and took care of myself. What if I’d been asked to come in for a random test during that time?

I’ve never abused my medication and I’ve never, even for a moment, considered selling it. Why would I sell something that I need in order to function? It seems accusatory that it’s assumed I’m selling my meds if it’s not detected in my urine. Really? I’m completely scatter-brained and socially awkward – I wouldn’t even know where to begin with selling drugs and I have like 700 other things in my life that just make the idea of that sound stupid and exhausting. I feel like it’s easier and cheaper to buy a gun than it is to pick up my prescribed medication each month.