Reply To: Need advice from like-minded peeps:

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame Need advice from like-minded peeps: Reply To: Need advice from like-minded peeps:

Penny Williams
Keymaster

First, as Roosevelt said, “Comparison is the thief of joy.” It’s hard, especially in the age of social media and the internet in general, but it’s so important to your mental health. Make a list of your accomplishments, ask others to help as they will give you much more credit than you give yourself.

A couple thoughts on the anger and hyperfocus on coronavirus and such…
1. This could be depression and/or anxiety. The current state of the world is overwhelming and something we have little control over. A feeling of helplessness often starts the path to depression and anxiety. If so, treating it can help a great deal. Trying to get some distance from the news can help too. I only allow myself 10 minutes a day to get a brief update with some news — otherwise I’d be so upset and scared I couldn’t function.

Pandemic Anxiety: 10 Expert Coping Strategies

2. You’re 40 and a woman. Hormones play a huge role for women with ADHD. They affect mood, memory, cognitive functioning, etc. Many women with ADHD describe everything changing with their ADHD and treatment efficacy when they hit peri-menopause or menopause. This could at least be a contributing factor.

Perimenopause Problems: How Changing Hormones Exacerbate ADHD Symptoms

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism