Reply To: dopamine deficiency or dopamine receptor deficiency?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults dopamine deficiency or dopamine receptor deficiency? Reply To: dopamine deficiency or dopamine receptor deficiency?

jwilli
Participant

Hi, This dopamine deficiency vs. dopamine receptor deficiency is a very interesting topic. I intend to do some research on this and see if I can add anything to our collective post.

As for ADHD becoming more like ADD as we age I think perhaps there is something to that concept. I was a hyperactive child but didn’t get an official diagnosis for ADHD until I was in my twenties. That later diagnosis was partly due to the fact that ADD/ADHD wasn’t nearly as well identified in the late 60s, when I was a little kid.

I’m now in my late 50s, and as a result of natural aging, I’ve slowed down a bit and along with that my super impulsive ADHD habits have somewhat diminished too. However, I still fidget and bounce my leg, and have trouble staying on tasks….So, I’m very much at least still ADD.

I have recently been trying different dosages of Vyvance with very mixed results. I did much better with Adderall XR, but the stigma attached to it these days makes you almost feel guilty to bring it up with a doctor. Is anyone here currently taking Vyvance and if so can you share some of your experiences and insight with me. Because I’m still not settled with how it acts with me, and it’s pretty frustrating at times.