Reply To: Narrowed interests, – difficulty engaging and motivating son! Advice please.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline Narrowed interests, – difficulty engaging and motivating son! Advice please. Reply To: Narrowed interests, – difficulty engaging and motivating son! Advice please.

larue152
Participant

Mindcraft is known to be a favorite of children with ADHD/ADD as well as ASD (I agree that it sounds like your son has some characteristics of a child on the spectrum). He may be obsessing more on the game because he is feeling anxious or scared during this time. If his activities are being canceled, his routine is also being disrupted even more than the closing of the school building. Playing Minecraft helps him cope.
I agree that offering him shorter, more frequent play periods would likely help. If he is using it to cope, waiting a week to feel better would be agonizing for any of us. Also, kids with ADHD like playing Legos, so you could offer that as another activity, and one during which you can join him to play. You can also try board games to engage as a family and build social skills. You may find that as your son grows older, his behaviors may change, especially in stressful times. Boys hit prepuberty around 10, and I have seen boys with ADHD and ASD have big changes in behavior because of hormones.
You may also be able to find some online programs or apps that help your son practice executive functioning skills in the form of playing games that will help him build those skills.