Reply To: AAny advice for one who seems unable to hold a job due to ADHD?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond AAny advice for one who seems unable to hold a job due to ADHD? Reply To: AAny advice for one who seems unable to hold a job due to ADHD?

leftie22
Participant

I’m always surprised when I see self-employment as a suggestion for people with ADHD. Self-employment takes a lot of time management, admin and detail work if you’re going to make any money (unless your business is so successful that you can hire out the logistics stuff, and even then, you then have an employee to manage). I’m a non-ADHD woman with a husband with ADHD, and whenever he’s self-employed, life is very chaotic.

I think the key is to try to find a job that doesn’t have super tight deadlines or tedious, detail-heavy work. I’ve found that the non-profit world is often more open to people with diverse skills and abilities. The money isn’t as good, but sometimes the work environment and flexibility more than make up for that, especially if it means that you keep the job and don’t end up unemployed. Good luck!