Reply To: AAny advice for one who seems unable to hold a job due to ADHD?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond AAny advice for one who seems unable to hold a job due to ADHD? Reply To: AAny advice for one who seems unable to hold a job due to ADHD?

katie_o
Participant

Hey there! First of all let me say that your self awareness is amazing. I had all the struggles you mention but was never able to actually articulate it or even work out what my exact struggles were. For me it was just an “I don’t like this job” often followed by a strong desire not to go back. It wasn’t until I became a mum that I was able to stick to a job for a number of years. I had a child to feed and to set an example to. The job really sucked and I often had ‘sick days’ but I grew to love some of my team and this helped me a lot. Later on the company folded whilst I was on maternity leave and I took a few years out of work to care for my kids and during that time I rediscovered my love for photography and I was brave enough to try it out as a small business. 11 years later I’m still doing the job of my dreams and it’s probably the only thing I’m any good at. It doesn’t feel like work. Not gonna lie I do struggle with some elements of it, the editing and admin and I need to change my pricing so I can afford some help with that. Anyways the point I’m trying to get to is that there is a job out there for you but you might be like me and really need to zone in on your passions and work out if there is a job you can realistically do in any of those areas.