Reply To: Im so fed of never being able to push through

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame Im so fed of never being able to push through Reply To: Im so fed of never being able to push through

anne_harding
Participant

The medication does help. What has helped me SO much is the Pomodoro method–basically, having a timer and working for 25-minute chunks of time with 5 minute breaks between. I even give myself 25 minutes to focus on certain life tasks. You can get a lot done in even just one 25-minute chunk! For me, the timer helps me get down to work, and keep working. I used to quit working when it got boring or became uncomfortable or I finished a specific task, but being guided by the timer forces me to work for just a bit longer and wrap up loose ends. There are definitely times when I’m engrossed in a task or on deadline and I skip the 5-minute break. Maybe just start by telling yourself you will give yourself one block of time every weekday to work on that topic that interests you? Then stop when the time is up, which will leave you with some energy for it and interest the next day. I think our attention can become so intense but burns itself out easily, but just a quick break can be enough to recover.