Reply To: Methylphenidate manufacturer changed and it doesn’t seem to work as well.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Methylphenidate manufacturer changed and it doesn’t seem to work as well. Reply To: Methylphenidate manufacturer changed and it doesn’t seem to work as well.

emilymc93
Participant

I see this isn’t very recent, but I wanted to share my experience. I was given Camber pharmaceuticals Methylphenidate ER from my pharmacy and it didn’t help me at all, I could have taken a nap after taking it. I also broke out in a rash and was very itchy.

From experience, certain generic brands have been significantly less effective than others. Mallinckrodt makes garbage, yet most major chain retail pharmacies use them because they’re the cheapest, and that’s for a reason. Teva and Actavis are just as good if not better than the brand name in many cases. It’s unfair to us because often we don’t know our generic brand changes and we take the medication and it doesn’t work, but then we have to take it until our next refill. Many people are effected by this, the FDA should restrict specific fillers used in generics because they cause inefficacy.

I don’t have ADD, I have a brain hemorrhage affecting my cognitive alertness and focus, which is what my need for stimulant medication is prescribed for. I have a such a difficult time when I get a brand that doesn’t work, like Mallinckrodt. Their medication doesn’t work for me. I was receiving Teva Adderall and I didn’t even know my generic brand was changed, I thought it was my tolerance. One day, I noticed a loose pill in my top drawer and it was an Adderall (generic) and I noticed the color slightly differed from the current adds I was taking, I took it the next day, and wow what a difference.