Reply To: Has any parents considered not diagnosing their ADHD child?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Has any parents considered not diagnosing their ADHD child? Reply To: Has any parents considered not diagnosing their ADHD child?

tfv
Participant

Wow. I feel like I’m reading my own difficulties when my son was that age in preschool. I refused to do any testing. Thinking it would take away from his future and that diagnosing him with anything would put a chip on his shoulder. It’s interesting about you and your husband because I also have adhd. His is hyperactive, mine inattentive. It has escalated and he’s become violent. It’s likely not the same as in your home, but mine is 7 now and what was once an inability to listen and ours to understand how to communicate, it has caused so much stress. Now dad has left(not because of this. He’s screwed up and we didn’t know) and it’s made things worse, plus quarantine and it’s a recipe for disaster. My advice would be to jump on the gun now. We have even been in the hospital due to violent outbursts and the drs saw it, then were unwilling to send him home for a week and a half. I think there’s more to it chemically, but adhd is tough. The drs kept treating me for my depression, but one finally pinpointed adhd and started me on meds. The depression and anxiety went away and I can actually cook in 45 minutes vs 4 hours like before. Your little is dealing with big stuff in such an itty bitty self. Good luck. This is tough and you’re not alone in the way you feel.