Reply To: teen newly diagnosed – medication input needed

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child teen newly diagnosed – medication input needed Reply To: teen newly diagnosed – medication input needed

jabl
Participant

Thank you Penny for all the information and links. We have used and continue to use behavioral modifications to help our son.

He was started on a low dose of the two different stimulant medications and every 5 days the dose was increased. No noticeable benefit was seen from the first one, but the side effects were too much to continue (per the doctor). With the second one, he also took a low dose and it was increased every 5 days. Some similar and some different side effects were observed and experienced. The doctor said to stop. A two-day break was taken and only during that time did my son realize that there was a slight benefit of the second medication that allowed him to focus more.

I truly would like to understand if others experience benefit on ONLY non-stimulant medication. Is this an appropriate question to ask? Where could I ask this question to gain the knowledge of the Community?

Thank you