Reply To: Inattentive ADHD type woman getting frustrated with Non-ADHD partner

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Relationships Inattentive ADHD type woman getting frustrated with Non-ADHD partner Reply To: Inattentive ADHD type woman getting frustrated with Non-ADHD partner

Mitt79
Participant

Chris,

Wow, this reply was really great to wake up to, thank you for taking the time to respond Chris.
It’s nice to hear someone say its not ‘you’ as I often feel like I’m going nuts. It’s that criticality / self-doubt that I have in myself that seems to prevent me from ever moving forward.
Also, it great to hear that you guys have got some strategies in place. Can I ask if your wife took the diagnosis seriously initially?
I know you are right in my head; he has said some pretty dumb stuff that I’m sure even a non-ADD person would be annoyed by. He really won’t take on board the ADD diagnosis so straight away I feel like he’ll never understand the ‘quirks’ that come with it. Before I started taking my medication, everything was left very last minute (standard) and I would have several 12-hour (admittedly stressful) days on the lead up to any deadlines. Not only did he initially tell me that I should be finished once he had finished work but when I told him that wasn’t going to happen, he went on to ask me to move from where I study as it was making it stressful.
I realise when I write this that he actually sounds like a monster – he isn’t. He’s a really nice guy but likes things his way ha. He isn’t the father of my kids but they have really taken a shine to him and he is really good with them too.
Thank you for you support on the Masters – I never imagined I would go down the education route so it’s pretty amazing 😊. Its great to hear to hear you were in the same boat as well – and what an amazing career I may add! Did you also struggle with any criticality on grading ?!

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Mitt79.
  • This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Mitt79.