Reply To: Can anyone recommend someone for private diagnosis in the Uk?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Can anyone recommend someone for private diagnosis in the Uk? Reply To: Can anyone recommend someone for private diagnosis in the Uk?

Chickster
Participant

I have been diagnosed a few times by psychiatrists, in London. They arent people you really want to chat to but they do get you on the meds. You can just pick one as long as they know what they are doing – they dont do counselling.

But recently I went through Babylon, the online NHS GP to get an NHS referral & amazingly after less than 6 months got one. I went to a hospital in North West London (no counselling there, but it is an ADHD unit), got the meds twice & then they passed me back to Babylon so now its the same as anything else – I do a GP appointment through the app & they do the prescription. Im on Elvanse too so Im not being fobbed off with ‘alternatives’. They even put me on higher dose at the hospital – & the Elvanse 30mg was £100 a month. I dread to think what the 50mg would have costed.

So I would say go private but apply to the NHS at the same time. If your GP doesnt get it then join Babylon & if the first doctor you speak to isnt helpful then do another consult a few days later. I did mine at night, & got a very understanding (& rather handsome) American doctor. If you have a formal diagnosis its easier for them though & a private doc will give you one on the spot.

Of course everyone wants to get into the Maudsley, but one of my private docs is a consultant there & he says its damn nearly impossible. I also dont think anyone doing standard counselling is much help. I did ‘therapy’ a few times & it was a waste of money & actually rather depressing. They just do not underrstand it though they think they do.