Reply To: My ADD high school graduate can she survive college?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums How to Use the ADDitude Forums My ADD high school graduate can she survive college? Reply To: My ADD high school graduate can she survive college?

Nocturnal_Raven
Participant

I can’t add a lot to what has already been written. However, maybe experiences can be helpful. The way you describe your daughter, sounds like I was (and still am). For example, I worried about almost everything. With this being said, Everybody is different, has different support systems, what college she would be going to (how supportive they are of people with ADHD), whether she will be living at home and commuting or not and other factors. So, especially with the right kinds of support (and accommodations if needed), many people with ADHD graduate from college. I suffered from a milder version of depression (dysthinia) and severe social anxiety. This is long before I realized that ADHD was at the crux of my problem. I ended up not only making it through college and eventually through graduate school with a 3.9 (stupid multivate statistics).

I may be an unusual case but, college was actually easier for me than high school. More surprisingly, graduate school was even easier (except the class I listed about). The reason was, probably like many with ADHD, I can concentrate a lot easier if the course work is interesting. High school covered many different subjects. If the class was something I found interesting, like psychology, or science (not math oddly enough), I did well. In most high schools they include a lot of things that may not be that interesting. When I went to college, I majored in psychology. However, in my case half of the classes were general ed many for four year colleges. There was a lot less “busy work”. On most days I didn’t have to be up at 8 AM (except Statistics, ugh).,and had choices between professors, and time slots. Going in I didn’t know what I wanted to major in so, I took a lot of general ed classes and dabbled in different electives until I found what I really liked and did well at. I ended up with a B average for my undergrad. Then, I went to get my Masters degree. With almost all of my classes being directly related to something I loved, I did very well. This is despite procrastination. Finally, what might have really helped the transition into college was that I happened to live literally across the street from one of the universities so, I lived with my parents for a few years. If I hadn’t, I may have had a different outcome with all of the distractions in dorms.

So, it’s possible she could not only survive but, there are no promises. My main intention was to give you examples how they do. In addition, many people with ADHD are some of the most intelligent and creative people out there which of course is great in college. One thing that was invaluable to my success in college was that almost every professor I had was supportive.

Best wishes