Reply To: Overthinking and Underperforming

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Overthinking and Underperforming Reply To: Overthinking and Underperforming

abrogers210
Participant

Oh, how I wish I had an answer to this dilemma! To be honest, I found your question while searching for an answer myself. If it offers you any comfort, I experience the exact same thing, so I will continue foraging around many various blogs and sights trying to find a solution that could be tailored to my personal experiences and deficits. As a young adult, I felt like by my age (27) I would have discovered better tools and/or grown out of it a bit.

So here is the best thing I’ve got: I sing a kind of jingle to myself softly narrating tasks that I’m doing to keep myself more focused. Currently, the most success I’ve had preventing sidetracking thoughts is to softly sing these little songs to myself about the action/task I am doing at that moment. This ADHD hack is something I mostly do at home where I tend to get more carried away inside my own head, alongside our extra bouncy brains.

The most solidified example, and regular habit that I have of a reminder tune, is when I’m getting ready to leave the house/work or anywhere to travel to a new establishment/place. I utilize it most in the mornings when leaving my apartment for work, as I always tend to be an especially frazzled and of course, often running late.

The song follows a familiar childhood tune, so it has easily become apart of the routine without me having to try too hard to remember to sing it. Here is “Head and Shoulders” for Adults (especially ADHD)…

Classic Kids Version: “Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes, Knees and Toes”

ADHD Adult Version: “Wallet, Glasses, Keys and Phone, Keys and Phone”

The trick is for it to be intentional, acting to direct your cognitive focus onto the current action. The convenient thing about this tune is that, without having to put words to it, it can be adapted to just a familiar hum. The song or hummed tune can then act as a makeshift blocker to possible cognitive impulses. As you mentioned, we are attracted so easily to these darned “shiny things”. This hack allows the brain to be consciously occupied by both the production and meaning of the auditory signal. Without this hack to engage more of our acute focus on the task at hand, our attention may indeed have been feebly cast aside by these tempting moments of interference, which we know so well.

I learned this trick from someone a while back now. It has worked amazingly for me in times of disarray. I hope your’e able to use it as is, or utilize the concept in some way at least, to work around and help with your own wonderfully bouncy brain!

Post a response here if you dig up any other solutions or tricks, I’m dying to find some new ones!
Cheers! + Happy Bouncing 🙂