Reply To: Can anyone recommend someone for private diagnosis in the Uk?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Can anyone recommend someone for private diagnosis in the Uk? Reply To: Can anyone recommend someone for private diagnosis in the Uk?

FrankyTank
Participant

I had a consultation with Helen Read from ADHD consultancy in south London. If the link below doesn’t work just use google.

Home

Can’t recommend her highly enough. She really seems to ‘get it’, especially for adults.

I have been on something of a journey. Lots of the problems my son was experiencing at school were horribly familiar – made me do a lot of reading and seek out some help for myself. Faced with a 20-month waiting list I decided to go private. I’m still working through all this, but it is sooooo good to start to understand there was a reason for all of my challenges all along.

Like the book title says – “You Mean I’m Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!”

Do lots of reading, start with anything by Ned Hallowell. Even listen to his podcasts on here.

You will help yourself by seeking out “Hallowell and Ratney’s Suggested Diagnostic Criteria for Attention Deficit Disorder in Adults”

You can find this list if you search using google and google books.

If nothing else there is a list within The New Strong-Willed Child By James C. Dobson which is basically the same but with a bit less detail. You can read that using google books. Look for page 230

If any/all of that looks uncomfortably familiar go and get a proper diagnosis – it’s important to get a good diagnosis from an expert. It might not be ADHD.

Good luck!