Reply To: I don't really think ADHD medication is working for me

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD I don't really think ADHD medication is working for me Reply To: I don't really think ADHD medication is working for me

cchaden
Participant

I used to take Adderall XR, wanted a change because it didn’t last long enough, tried Concerta which lasted longer but made me irritable, now have been on Vyvance for over six months. My psychiatrist told me that it’s an improved (and more expensive ) form of Adderall, it lasts a long time which I like.

I found out I have ADHD at age 50 when my son was diagnosed, and I am now 76. I have a lifetime of bad habits which I struggle with and/or embrace, I am oppositional and over focus easily, never learned executive functions like prioritizing and planning ahead, I do what has to be done TODAY. And yes, I get distracted and sucked in to whatever catches my eye, even on my meds! But recently I read an article here about my daily to-do list which really worked!

I know I am only supposed to have 3 or 4 things on the list, and that’s hard, but the rest of this article stressed that I must GO BACK to the list over and over all day until it is completed. I will be distracted, I will realize it, and I go back to the list! The first time I completed my list I was SO PROUD of myself, what a great feeling! Now I set a timer if I can’t let go, and distract myself back to my list. Reading articles on ADDitude is a black hole I fall into a lot, so I am signing off now…!