Reply To: How do you handle tolerance to medication?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD How do you handle tolerance to medication? Reply To: How do you handle tolerance to medication?

The Cat Lady
Participant

Thank you for your response. I haven’t tried methylphenidate; a while back, my Dr had me do something called GeneSight, where they test your DNA to find out what medications are more compatible with your profile, and which ones you shouldn’t take. The results stated that technically I would respond better to amphetamine than methylphenidate. There have been times in the past few years that I’ve felt “normal” (ie, I wasn’t struggling with my symptoms). Everything was simple and effortless. It seems like the relief was very short lived, however. Shortly after a change in meds/dosage had been made, in a matter of weeks, I was back to being dys-functional.

I’ve always wondered how people can do alright on the same dose for years at a time. What happens when you’ve reached the maximum dose of your medication, and you’ve become tolerant to the point of that medication no longer being effective for you? Where do you go from there?