Reply To: ADHD might not be the root of your problems!

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD ADHD might not be the root of your problems! Reply To: ADHD might not be the root of your problems!

macaddictjay
Participant

My story: I was diagnosed with ADD at age 42 (by the VA), and medicated (with the typical Ritalin/Prozac-for-depression) for the next 20 years. Then, my wife, awakened by my snoring, convinced me to get tested for Sleep Apnea (again by the VA). I was sent home with a CPAP machine, and was told the protocol: use it for a month, bring it back, we’ll analyze its recordkeeping chip and will determine whether or not it’s solving your problem. When the month was up, I felt great and had never been doing better, ever. I decided to start skipping my medicines to see if it would make a difference. It did not. I have taken no medicines since, for the last 13 years. I can’t guarantee that everyone will share my experience, but I tell any medical or educational professional I meet: If you think your problem is “only” ADD or ADHD, GET TESTED FOR SLEEP APNEA! The new marines are covered by insurance, are custom-fitted for you, are comfortable and super-quiet. Just do it!

Every time I tell my story to a health professional or educator, they are always surprised. They live in separate silos, and have financial and career incentives to NOT integrate this knowledge into their interior databases.