Reply To: Idk if this is related to ADHD… feeling ashamed and confused

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame Idk if this is related to ADHD… feeling ashamed and confused Reply To: Idk if this is related to ADHD… feeling ashamed and confused

Sporty22
Participant

Hi- try starting to put a time frame around a mundane task you need to do -this has helped me. For example, Emptying the dishwasher- I used to tell myself all the time you need to empty the dishwasher, walk by it many times and never do it. Now ,when I tell myself I need to do it and start to walk by it I remind myself it’s only going to take 2 minutes – just do it – I have found that putting a realistic time it takes frame for mundane tasks more bearable to get them done – try it for the debit card- when you just go to throw it in your bag remind your brain it will only take 2 seconds to put it away – just do it – see if it works – once I did it once I got better with a lot of little mundane things – ( I had read about this strategy somewhere for ADHD ) Oftentimes people with adhd feel like things take a long time when in actuality the time to get it done is much shorter.

For the video game- a timer may help- I would try setting an annoying ring tone and leave your phone away from you so you have to stop and get up to shut it off – worth a shot

Our type brains are great in many ways and tricky in other ways… good luck