Reply To: Idk if this is related to ADHD… feeling ashamed and confused

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame Idk if this is related to ADHD… feeling ashamed and confused Reply To: Idk if this is related to ADHD… feeling ashamed and confused

quietlylost
Participant

Are you seeing a therapist right now? I think that might be a good first step.

It seems like you’ve learned that external accountability can be helpful, so maybe finding ways to have more of that in your life. Like setting reminders on your phone before you start playing games, or having someone check on you by stopping by or with a phone call.

As for the debit card, I’d actually suggest starting with something simple and just start using cash. See if that helps break the cycle a bit. Otherwise, working with a therapist to breakdown what is it about the sequencing of putting the card back in the wallet is hard. It may be a psychological barrier more than a physiological one. Sometimes we keep doing things we don’t want to do because we on a deeper level want to keep doing badly. Not saying that’s the case here, but something that can be a possibility.

In any case, I’d suggest talking to someone. A therapist of some kind can be immensely helpful.