Reply To: Has any parents considered not diagnosing their ADHD child?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Has any parents considered not diagnosing their ADHD child? Reply To: Has any parents considered not diagnosing their ADHD child?

ninjaroo
Participant

I can only speak for me and my situation. Being diagnosed at 42 been a blessing. So as a child with apparently ADHD I was a good kid and didn’t act out much (fear of disappointing people overrode behavior) I could have done better and gotten better grades and maybe gone to a better school and maybe finished faster under less debt and maybe made less financial mistakes , and maybe made less relationship mistakes and maybe and maybe……..

Point is it could have helped me.
Now I look at my 5 year old son and ADHD with impulse control screams out to me. But I am waiting to seek a true diagnosis. I am waiting to see how he is affected at school. So far he is a good student and well behaved at school. Just a challenge at home.

Now if he starts to experience school related symptoms I will definitely get him evaluated.

Fact is this is a neuro-divergent thing and there are good tools to help people.