Reply To: My doctor took me off Adderall because I don't have a "real job"?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD My doctor took me off Adderall because I don't have a "real job"? Reply To: My doctor took me off Adderall because I don't have a "real job"?

quietlylost
Participant

Personally I’d advise changing doctors. It sounds like they have a very biased view of ADHD based on stigma and prejudice, and I wouldn’t think they’d be providers you’d want to continue working with. I know it can be a pain to look for a new provider, but that’s probably the easiest option. Especially if they’re neither willing to listen to your input or offer a good explanation based on evidence to justify their decision.

ADHD effects all areas of life, like you know, and you don’t just provide medication so people can work. It’s funny because they said, “We don’t provide medication so you can clean your house” but does that mean they DO provide it so people can work? That seems ridiculous. ADHD medication is not a performance enhancer. It’s a medicine needed for a medical condition. It’s appropriate, evidence-based treatment for the disorder and it’s backed by national and international guidelines.

I’d suggest switching providers, but it’s definitely up to your preference. I know providers who work with ADHD and who are willing to prescribe medication are pretty limited. That being said, if you express to them that the reason your doctor didn’t keep prescribing it was because you don’t have a job outside the home, they might be more willing. You may even want to go to the length of asking your current doctor to put that justification in writing so that when you do seek a new provider you can get the records to prove why they made that choice.