Reply To: Relaxing

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Relaxing Reply To: Relaxing

mac119
Participant

I’ve had ADHD all my life. Half of that time I was undiagnosed but I knew that something wasn’t right. I tend to have the same problem when watching TV or sitting down to relax or take a break. I can’t even relax when I go out to our above ground pool and float around or sit in a lounge chair. It is almost an impossibility most of the time for me to be still. I’m the same way when I try to go to bed at night. Some part of my body is constantly moving, usually my legs…it could be a little restless leg syndrome, too, but I have found that a combination of Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc with can stop that within approx fifteen minutes. The main ingredients here is the magnesium. Some brands refer to it as Cal-Mag-Zinc. It can help you to calm those restless limbs.

So what do I do to aid in being still, even to watch a TV program? You see I am usually seldom still and if my body is still my mind is not…ever quiet. I can get a lot of scarves crocheted while I’m sitting in front of the TV. It distracts me enough so I can get through a TV program plus I get a lot of homemade Christmas gifts ready to give away. It helps that my hands are busy.

I also work a lot of Suduko puzzles or numbers games on my laptop.

Research indicates supplemental magnesium can improve sleep quality, especially in people with poor sleep. Magnesium increases GABA, which encourages relaxation as well as sleep. Low GABA levels in the body can make it difficult to relax. Magnesium also plays a key role in regulating the body’s stress-response system.

GABA Gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) is a naturally occurring amino acid that works as a neurotransmitter in your brain. Neurotransmitters function as chemical messengers. GABA is considered an inhibitory neurotransmitter because it blocks, or inhibits, certain brain signals and decreases activity in your nervous system.

If you take magnesium alone for this purpose it can cause diarrhea so it is best taken with calcium, zinc and Vit D3 to counteract the side effect. It does relax my body and enables me to rest or sleep. When I take my combination Cal-Mag-Zinc I never have side effects and I experience a quieter body which makes it easier for me to relax. The breakdown of mg and units are as follows:
Vit D3 – 600IU
Calcium – 1000mg
Magnesium – 400mg
Zinc – 15mg
Once or twice daily. Serving size is 3 tablets.

*Bone and Muscle Health*
Calcium and Vitamin D are essential nutrients for strong teeth and bones. Magnesium is important for healthy nerves and muscles. Zinc is involved in metabolism and aids in proper growth.