Reply To: Neuropsychologist vs neurologist or both?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Neuropsychologist vs neurologist or both? Reply To: Neuropsychologist vs neurologist or both?


Be mindful that neuropsychological testing isn’t always the most reliable or definitive. If can be helpful to see a psychologist or social worker that is trained in the diagnosis and treatment of ADHD. Usually child therapists are good at this. Some child psychiatrists too.

Neuropsychological testing can help with some executive functioning assessment and IQ testing, but it doesn’t always pick up the impairments of ADHD. It’s commonly referred to, though, even though it’s not a reliable indicator.

A neurologist would probably not be warranted at this point, unless there are concerns for some kind of neurological disorder such as epilepsy or some other brain issue. It’s safest to start small and with providers who are more closely tuned to ADHD.