Reply To: Work problems

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Work problems Reply To: Work problems

Hackshee
Participant

Hi Natalie P. You’re super hard on yourself. That is typical for adults with ADHD. Because I was diagnosed at such a young age and now in my 50’s, I don’t let work mistakes get to me. If someone says something, normally I would answer…I never make the same mistake twice…..I make it 5, 6, and 7 times just to be sure!! I try to keep a sense of humor about it and that seems to relax the people around me. I get the feeling that you may not like your job. I’m certainly not telling you to quit, but is there a passion that you have? Most of us with ADHD have at least one strength that is completely off the charts and we love doing it. There are ways of doing what you love and it makes a big difference. However, I know this doesn’t answer your question. I think:
1. They are getting a vibe from you that you won’t stand up for yourself. If there is something that isn’t being explained to you properly or in a way you don’t understand…show them how you learn. It takes two seconds. For me, I have to actually do the act myself not watch it and If it’s something written down I would tell them I need it step by step. Years ago, I had a part-time job and boss that was a complete idiot. I told him “this is how I learn. You will get the results that you want and need but I need it step by step. When he said something nasty about ADHD, I picked up my phone pretending to call an attorney. That shut him up real quick because there are laws in place for people that have ADHD and they take it very seriously. I know that many will disagree with me on this but I take Adderall to help me complete tasks and keep me motivated. As far as making the wrong decisions….well, I have made some doozies! Now, I write it all on paper before making a decision. I don’t know if this helps. I hope so. Good luck and maybe a support group?