Reply To: After being perscribed adderall for 10 years. Today my doctor drug tested me.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame After being perscribed adderall for 10 years. Today my doctor drug tested me. Reply To: After being perscribed adderall for 10 years. Today my doctor drug tested me.

seabeegirl
Participant

I have been on Adderall XR for 12 years. About 7 years ago, my then doctor, whom I had been seeing every 3 months, announced that I would need to have an office visit every month in order to continue getting my prescription. I worked day shift and this would mean me having to take time off from work every month in order to get the medicine I needed, not to mention being expensive. When I asked why, he just stated that it was their new policy. Having worked in pharmacy for years and knowing about the increasing problems with prescription medication fraud and abuse, I suspected that this policy had been introduced in order to force out/reduce the number of patients on controlled drugs in the practice. I could understand the policy if my medication was for pain, or a changeable condition that warranted a possible change in prescription from month to month, but my ADHD wasn’t going anywhere, especially in a month’s time. There was no other reason to make someone who had never abused the prescription to adhere to such an expensive, unnecessary schedule of visits. I questioned the morality of this new policy and the conflict with the Hippocratic Oath (to cause no harm). The office staff did not like me questioning their policy, so I changed doctors. In the past five years, doctors in Ohio and other states have been forced into monitoring their controlled drug patients more closely in response to the increasing drug problem and I now sign an agreement stating that I can be drug tested at any visit. My new doctor only requires a visit every three months and writes three monthly prescriptions for me, each with the date to be filled written on them. He only tests me about once per year, at a random visit of his choosing. This is acceptable to me, though I do wish that it wasn’t necessary.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by seabeegirl.