Reply To: Been waiting nearly 2 years for adult ADHD assessment

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Been waiting nearly 2 years for adult ADHD assessment Reply To: Been waiting nearly 2 years for adult ADHD assessment



29 Year old male here, in the UK. Diagnosed ADHD, and treated on the NHS.

NHS’s biggest issue: There aren’t enough specialists who understand ADHD for you to be properly diagnosed. Like lots of other areas, it’s very difficult to see a specialist in a short amount of time unless it’s an emergency on the NHS.

I had to go private. I saved up for quite some time to do it. If you have been waiting that long, then it only confirms my suspicions, which is that the NHS has a serious lack of experts who deal with the condition. The US has been ahead of most of us in terms of recognizing it and treating it.

As for ways to deal with the problems you’re suffering from? Well, I dealt with many of them up until I got medicated at 28. Magnesium has been known to help, exercise also helps as it boosts dopamine and avoiding anything which adds to the brain fog, drugs, alcohol, etc.

I’m being deadly serious though when I say exercise can help you so much! Yes, if you can’t be arsed, it’s a motivation killer at times. But even doing 5 mins, then 10 and working it up and up, you will find your cognitive abilities increasing. It won’t be anywhere near as close as to being medicated, but it will help until you are seen on the NHS. I would ask your doc to make an inquiry to see where you’re at in terms of a timescale.

As for medications that your doc could prescribe you, Well, there are certain SNRIs which may help. Effexor is an SNRI that is prescribed for depression and anxiety problems. Ask your doc about going on an SNRI to help until you are seen. I should say though that not everyone has had success with them. But you won’t know until you try. They also have bad withdrawal side effects when coming off them which could make you feel worse. But, again, it’s an option you could discuss with your doctor until you are properly assessed.

Take care