Reply To: I am a rock! …or not…

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents The Emotions of ADHD I am a rock! …or not… Reply To: I am a rock! …or not…

cherubwilliams
Participant

I know how you feel. My husband and are both professionals with one child with ADD and dyslexia and a neurotypical child as well. My husband thinks I do too much, that my son needs to learn the consequences of his decisions. By the end of the day, I feel like I am going to explode, and I do, feeling badly later. I recently read a book by Dr. Charles Fay, who stated “Time and time again, I see children blossom form the inside-out when the adults in their lives help them feel better from the inside out.” As I read your note, I thought of this statement. It applies to us parents as well. You cannot help him unless you help yourself-listen to book in car, spend one day a month going to get something done at the salon, go to park. Start with little things for yourself (even if it is hiding in bathroom) and this will help you with your child. Love your child for who he is and he will have the freedom to become who is really is. You cannot change your son, but help him focus on his effort and strengths, not his brains and weaknesses. These kiddos hear criticism over and over again from peers, coaches etc, and do not need it from home. Tell him you love him, that you know it’ s hard, but you love him no matter what.