Reply To: Might need a higher dose of Adderall, but prescriber is very cautious

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Might need a higher dose of Adderall, but prescriber is very cautious Reply To: Might need a higher dose of Adderall, but prescriber is very cautious

StoopidMonkey
Participant

UGH I’m having the same issue with my psychiatrist. My therapist seems much more willing to listen to my concerns and doesn’t feel threatened or second guessed if I discuss what I’ve learned by doing my own novice research on the side. The second I bring up things I’ve read elsewhere to my psych she immediately halts me to tell me that every person is different so I shouldn’t be attempting to look into this on my own at all. I should just show up, answer her questions, and accept whatever she decides to put me on without any question or input. Obviously she cares if a particular prescription was negatively affecting me, but she has no desire to get into the business of helping me tweak my meds to get the most out of them. Thankfully she granted my request to only issue me 14 day scripts so that I can see her sooner to adjust, but it’s just such a frustrating process. Add to that my suspicion that she’s not super-well-read into the particulars of ADHD meds, in my case Adderall, as she simultaneously claimed that XR caps “last for 24 hours” when I’m all but certain they wear off after 12 hours max or earlier and that she considers a switch from (1) 10mg IR to a 15mg XR an increase. Literally, I suppose, but a decrease in the amount that’s active in my system within a given window. Sigh, I’ll see how this goes but switching docs is going to be a real PITA since this practice is only 10 minutes from work and I can go there on a lunch break and not be penalized. Best of luck!