Reply To: Been waiting nearly 2 years for adult ADHD assessment

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Been waiting nearly 2 years for adult ADHD assessment Reply To: Been waiting nearly 2 years for adult ADHD assessment

KDL
Participant

Hi…I can understand your frustration! I’m 64 y.o. living in U.S. (California) and had a very difficult time finding a practitioner who would see me for ADULT ADD. Most all work is with children here. I found a psychologist who’s been helpful and one psychiatrist who treats adults. This fellow I’ve seen on 3 occasions and while I’m currently not on ADD meds (he does not treat depression, just ADD…once my depression is under control he said he’d be able to prescribe suitable ADD meds). On my last visit he told me that, while he doesn’t feel I have actual ADD (I’ve had 4 other practitioners have told me the same thing, even though my symptoms make me the “Poster Boy” for Inattentive ADD), he would prescribe the same ADD meds AS IF I DID actually have it. I’m not sure how insurance etc works in the UK, but if you have a personal physician, perhaps they could be convinced to give you a short “trial” course off Adderall or etc and see how you do. I know some insurance here would have trouble covering ADD meds for an adult, and here’s where you are perhaps having to need an ADHD diagnosis.

Sorry for my rambling, but the take-away here is that ADHD meds should be tried, diagnosis or no diagnosis. After all, symptoms are symptoms, and the correct med should provide you some help.

Good luck!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by KDL.
  • This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Penny Williams.