Reply To: I am a rock! …or not…

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents The Emotions of ADHD I am a rock! …or not… Reply To: I am a rock! …or not…

GoDux@me.com
Participant

Hang in there friend! I too have been fighting this battle for years, my daughter is 17 now and is finding her legs this year. I walked into a therapists office 12 years ago and said, “You need to help me find me again. I used to be funny and fun.” One of the things that helped me was spending time with girlfriends that new me before all the life changes. It grounded me to who I was and still am. I consider this “self-care”. Also, our education system needs some serious adjustments. One of my daughters teachers tutored a niece that had LD’s. She was amazed at the struggle some kids have with homework. Changed her attitude forever. Somehow convincing the Principal ’s and others that our children are pretty darn “normal” and just need to have some acceptable options available to these kids makes a world of difference to them. Stick with therapy for your children and self. We all need a bigger toolbox to deal with these situations. Another thought is, don’t forget to have fun with your kids! Blow off a day just for the heck of it and take them out hiking or play soccer at a park, anything that gets them exercise and makes them feel good about who they are as our wonderful children….warts and all! Best of life to you friend!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by GoDux@me.com.