Reply To: Life After College

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Life After College Reply To: Life After College

bidzers
Participant

As someone who is 45, and only recently discovered I have ADHD, I reckon my advice is with hindsight. I have been in a job suited to neurotypicals for 15 years. I have struggled with it, stayed up nights to complete the workload, and the pressures which it has put on me have almost caused divorce with my husband (well that coupled with my ADHD).
Anyway, there is nothing wrong with being in the wrong job for a period , as hopefully it will make you appreciate the right one. I have now left my job and work for myself. ….
Many ADD people end up self employed, or else possibly learning to cope with the demands of the neurotypical world by treating their own ADHD.
You are at a difficult crossroads having finished college. This is a time when you need to decide then act…… If you are not suited to working with autistic children, one thing is for sure …dont do it. That work is a vocation, and it will do neither you nor them any good by continuing something so intense which you are sure isn’t right for you.
……
I cant advise you career wise..you’ll need to do that for yourself, but beware the pitfalls of your condition…..observing and watching documentaries is important and increases your knowledge, but you can lose hours and hours to that kind of thing…..dont forget to “do” and “act upon” your passions. Procrastination can be such a vice…..find your inner ADHD hyperfocus and make it drive your career choice…..also treat your ADHD….(whatever way you choose with meds/ naturally/ with environmental changes/ exercise…..all 4?).
You are at a crossroads but you can do it! You sound though like you have to make some decisions and illicit what is right for you.