Reply To: Seeking ADHD evaluation — but therapist thinks it's unnecessary

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Seeking ADHD evaluation — but therapist thinks it's unnecessary Reply To: Seeking ADHD evaluation — but therapist thinks it's unnecessary

quietlylost
Participant

It can be a hard thing to sort out sometimes. Maybe think of it as, “What were some of the things I did have to white knuckle to get done?” Or, “What are some of the daily things I deal with that exhaust my brain or exhaust me physically?” Impairment doesn’t just mean that you fail, but it can mean making things more difficult, getting them done later, or even having to choose different paths to avoid having to do certain things.

For example, maybe you still get the laundry done, but only after you’ve gone through your entire wardrobe and used Febreeze on dirty clothes for a few days. Or, maybe you are able to make it through the work day with meetings and job duties, but then when you get home in the evening your brain is so fried that you can’t focus, relax, or recuperate.

Are there areas in your life where you feel you’re falling short of potential? Are there things that you avoid doing because you know that you won’t do them well or you’re afraid that others will judge your performance? Are there relationships that you’ve lost due to being forgetful, impulsive, or just uninterested?

Most of us with ADHD find a way to make do, and we cope with what we have to do to survive. That doesn’t mean we’re not impaired. It means that we’re persistent, resilient, and creative. It’s important to identify what those areas are that are hard for us or where we fall short, as that can be a starting point for discussing that criteria.