Reply To: I get frustrated with fake adhd

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame I get frustrated with fake adhd Reply To: I get frustrated with fake adhd

AutumnDraidean
Participant

When you get into this mentality that some people are faking ADHD you get into some dangerous waters. Some people compensate until they don’t. Some of us have white knuckled through our lives and careers never coming close to our full potential. Others, who are severely affected are dropped from clinics on the slightest miss step.

I recently went on a med, but I think I need a higher dose, I’m scared spitless to ask though, afraid I’ll be painted as a drug seeker, even though I wasn’t put through the routine where the med is increased until side effects are seen, then backed off. Why am I scared? because I’m about to meet a new NP and I have no idea if she knows or is interested in ADHD. I don’t have any other place to go, the local psychiatrist won’t prescribe ANY controlled substances.

Other people are expected to pay thousands of dollars out of pocket to get tested. Is it really THAT hard? I don’t think it should be. I’m trying to get my 19 year old diagnosed and wow, there are so very few resources and dog help you if you don’t live in a densely populated area!

So please don’t go around saying that, just because other people can white knuckle it, that people are faking ADHD diagnoses… It’s disrespectful and cruel. Providers are being jerks because they have poor training and are trying to put out 3 alarm fires with garden hoses.