Reply To: Seeking ADHD evaluation — but therapist thinks it's unnecessary

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Seeking ADHD evaluation — but therapist thinks it's unnecessary Reply To: Seeking ADHD evaluation — but therapist thinks it's unnecessary

quietlylost
Participant

A good provider who understands ADHD will see beyond the stereotypical assumptions about ADHD. ADHD people can be high achievers, functional, successful, and even organized and goal-oriented. That doesn’t highlight the struggles faced inside that impact making those things so hard.

I was in gifted education in the past and also have multiple degrees. Despite my “success” eventually my providers were able to sort out the underlying issues that had tempered my struggles along the way. I hope you get that for yourself.

If you don’t have good documentation of your past struggles, it may be useful to seek people in your life who know you currently. Maybe include performance evaluations at work, feedback from friends or peers, and even keep a log of current challenges and examples of the symptoms you see. It can be helpful to catalog some of these things for providers as they can’t often see us in our home environment. Usually our friends or partners don’t either. Hopefully there might be someone from your life currently that can help testify to your struggles if you’ve been open with them. It doesn’t sound like your therapist would be one of those people.

Again, good luck. It can be a challenging process, and it can take a long time. It took me 1.5 years with my most recent providers to get to that point.