Reply To: Seeking ADHD evaluation — but therapist thinks it's unnecessary

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Seeking ADHD evaluation — but therapist thinks it's unnecessary Reply To: Seeking ADHD evaluation — but therapist thinks it's unnecessary

quietlylost
Participant

Short answer yes. I’ve had some very similar experiences and thoughts that you have shared, and for a long time wondered if there might be attention issues as part of the presentation. I initially sought help most recently about 1.5 years ago for those and over time we got to the ADHD diagnosis which has been super helpful.

It took me a while to believe it, but the more research I’ve done since the more it makes sense. I find that it helps clarify a lot of things and gives me a new perspective. I still receive support including therapy and medication, and those have been critical.

I’d say if you’re wondering, let your provider know. Ask if they’re willing to discuss it or explore it further. Cognitive testing may be ordered though it’s not really diagnostic. You can ask if they have preferred ways to assess, or if they’d like you to do some screening tools like the ASRS. It’s okay to keep asking questions and advocating for yourself. The info you shared here is a good way to introduce the topic to them as well.

Whatever happens, diagnosis or not, the idea that you may have it is still helpful. A diagnosis is important when getting medication, but without the diagnosis we can still “know” what we have and seek help for it. I hope you get the support and clarity you need.