Reply To: Has any parents considered not diagnosing their ADHD child?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Has any parents considered not diagnosing their ADHD child? Reply To: Has any parents considered not diagnosing their ADHD child?

Penny Williams
Keymaster

You said, “I want to protect my child first and foremost from the discrimination that society may hold against him…”

In my view, getting the diagnosis and treating his ADHD and HELPING HIM succeed is protecting him. That’s providing him with the support and awareness needed to succeed with an atypical brain in a neurotypical world. There are many studies that show that undiagnosed/untreated ADHD can lead to all sorts of bad outcomes, like drug abuse, teen pregnancy, incarceration, etc.

The Truth About ADHD and Addiction

In addition, avoiding diagnosis and treating his as a Neurotypical kid means that he will feel bad, broken, ashamed of who he is — no parent want’s that agony for their child.

You can do everything in the world you can think of to try to make up for his differences, but you cannot change the brain he was born with.

Yes, it’s hard to see your child get diagnosed. It’s hard to make the decision to give them medication for an “attention issue,” but ADHD Is far, FAR more than in attention and hyperactivity.

Your Child’s ADHD Is an Iceberg

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism