Reply To: Has any parents considered not diagnosing their ADHD child?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Has any parents considered not diagnosing their ADHD child? Reply To: Has any parents considered not diagnosing their ADHD child?

Twethereal
Participant

You are not crazy. You’re a parent and you want to do everything in your power to protect your child as any good parent should.

I can only speak from my own experience with ADHD, but I was relieved when I got my diagnosis. I knew something was wrong but I thought I could be just like the “normal kids” if I just tried hard enough. It put an enormous pressure on me and I really struggled. Being diagnosed helped me to cope and figure out what avenues to pursue in order to do better in school. Yes there are always going to people that stigmatize ADHD, but, not to worry you, it’s possible he will be treated different because he is already acting differently than the other kids. The most important thing you can teach him is to not think having ADHD is something to be ashamed of or something he has to hide and to get the help he needs to succeed. I can also tell you that my diagnosis comes up often in conversation. The people that are closest to me know and I am comfortable talking to them about it. I am not sure they always understand it, but they are learning and I appreciate them.
Just in case the behaviors your son is exhibiting are something else entirely, it also might be a good thing to know so you are using methods that would help him in the right way. Food for thought.

It is a big decision to make. I wish you all the best. It will be tough no matter what you decide, but your son is lucky to have a mom that cares so much about him.