Reply To: Does anyone ever feel like they are just faking being a mother?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls Does anyone ever feel like they are just faking being a mother? Reply To: Does anyone ever feel like they are just faking being a mother?

joolee
Participant

Wow. I never knew there were so many like me! I always felt like the biggest faker mom ever. While other moms brought perfectly organized little divided tupperware containers full of snacks for their toddlers, I was lucky to remember to brink coats for mine. I always felt like an outsider, like I wasn’t as good as all these perfect moms. It got worse when my kids were in school because for many reasons in addition to my ADHD, I wasn’t available to volunteer for every last thing like the other mothers did and I know they judged me. A few times my kids got down on me for being ADHD! They wanted me to be more like their friends’ mom.

My house was and is always a pit. I manage to clean it up the few times in a year that I have people over. But within a week, it’s a disaster again. I have just conceded that I’m never going to have a perfect house, and when I accepted that about myself I started to be a lot happier. Same goes for organization. My kids are grown now and it’s time to get rid of a whole bunch of junk so I can eventually downsize. Nothing is organized so it will take years probably to go through all the accumulated crap in my house. I have started this project several times, only to lose interest after a few days.

Medication has helped me over the years, but it doesn’t take the disorder away. I feel it has been very disabling for me.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by joolee.
  • This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Penny Williams.