Reply To: Does anyone ever feel like they are just faking being a mother?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls Does anyone ever feel like they are just faking being a mother? Reply To: Does anyone ever feel like they are just faking being a mother?

edwinj-adhd
Participant

Not as a mother, but as a father. I don’t pretend to be as wise as those that posted above, but I also feel some of what you’ve said. After 20 years working in corporations and small companies, I pulled the plug and became a SAHD and homemaker. I love it. Most days. Well, some days, but it should be most days. Like you, I cannot figure out how these beautiful moms at the bus stop do it. Some are working jobs, dressed to the 9’s, and have time to make pinterest-worthy halloween decorations. WTF? I do a pretty decent job, but not great. Surely nothing for facebook or instagram (what is this even? I’m too old). But after talking to one of the moms, I discovered that the outward face didn’t match what was going on behind the scenes. Life was hectic, they were having anxiety attacks, their self-esteem was no better than mine. Huh. That caused me to look inward. To see how good the good parts of our life are. To take pride in the small wins each day. A day when my ADHD son didn’t scream his head off and slam the door to his bedroom. A day where I didn’t yell at my either of my boys. A day when I didn’t wish I was the external image of someone else.

So I say f*ck the others. Take a deep breath. Look inward. See the beauty you are creating. Those social norms don’t mean anything.

Be well.