Reply To: Defaults to screen time when not being engaged by others

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Teens & Young Adults Defaults to screen time when not being engaged by others Reply To: Defaults to screen time when not being engaged by others

memacintyre
Participant

One of the problems we have (and I think that this is the same with the original post) isn’t a lack of a system for limiting screen time or knowing alternative activities, it’s that when the kids don’t have screen time, they don’t have alternatives they can do WITHOUT adult involvement. We also have the kids do chores/homework to earn screen time, but I need to be paying attention to what they’re doing to some extent.

It’s also difficult to send them outside to play when there aren’t other kids outside. I can’t be their activity director but they say everything else is “boring” and they usually devolve to squabbling with one another because they don’t know what to do. It’s also not a matter of giving them a chance to “figure it out” on their own – they’re in grades 7 & 8 and have been given plenty of time