Reply To: Does anyone ever feel like they are just faking being a mother?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls Does anyone ever feel like they are just faking being a mother? Reply To: Does anyone ever feel like they are just faking being a mother?

sstriegel
Participant

I am a stay at home mom of 5 children. As a mother of 5 kids who also has adhd, I can tell you that there is no such thing as a perfect mother/parent. I have 3 kids with adhd, and one of them also has type 1 insulin dependent diabetes and Addison’s Disease(adrenal failure). My oldest daughter also has type 1 diabetes. Just keeping up with their insulin requirements, blood sugar checks, and Max’s hydrocortisone schedule is enough. Let alone keep up with teenage schedules, the house, and what’s for dinner. There are days when I feel like running away because the stress of motherhood is too much for my adhd brain to handle. But I put one foot in front of the other and get passed it the best that I can, because my kids deserve for me to be at my best. And that’s all you can do. My house isn’t perfect, and I don’t participate in the PTA meetings. Mostly because I think that the moms who are really involved are not that nice and overly judgmental. Motherhood is hard, but it’s even harder with adhd, while raising kids with adhd. It’s easy for us to feel that others are judging us. As long as your kids are fed, washed, and happy who cares what other people think. If this helps, one way I keep up with my house is setting aside 15-20 minutes every day to clean something. I keep a daily schedule on my iPhone calendar of what gets cleaned that day; floors, bathrooms, dusting, etc. And then once a week on trash night I go through my house with a trash bag and toss broken toys, papers, and clutter. And then once a season I do a goodwill donation day that is on my calendar. Since starting this 2 years ago my life is calmer and my house is presentable, NOT PERFECT, but presentable and calmer. Know that you are not alone, and you’ve got this! Your kids love you and you are a perfect mother to them. God Bless