Reply To: Does anyone ever feel like they are just faking being a mother?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls Does anyone ever feel like they are just faking being a mother? Reply To: Does anyone ever feel like they are just faking being a mother?

looking back
Participant

Yes, I can totally relate! In trying to be the best mom to them I way over extended myself! My three daughters are all adults now but when the were little I was the primary caregiver while my husband worked, sometimes out of town for extended periods. I was involve in their elelementary school running an after school dance program, volunteering and as secretary of the parent/teacher group. They were in all kinds of activities outside of school. Looking back, I realize how hard and stressful that was and that it resulted in me being impatient, depressed and overwhelmed. I thought I could be the the “ Super Moms” I saw all around me! It wasn’t until we moved when they were 15,13, and 8 that I realized how over extended I was. Without all the obligations I had heaped on myself I saw that, for me, we all would have been better off if I devoted myself to being a more patient and happy mother. We all aren’t cut out to be “super mom” in the eyes of others! Now at age of 59 I work on letting go of the guilt and forgiving myself for my regrets.