Reply To: Defaults to screen time when not being engaged by others

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Teens & Young Adults Defaults to screen time when not being engaged by others Reply To: Defaults to screen time when not being engaged by others

memacintyre
Participant

We have exactly the same problem with both kids (both have ADHD and older one is also on the autism spectrum). One of the challenges is that it’s difficult to say you can’t have screens until you do “x” when there are no other kids around to do an activity with. Riding your bike by yourself isn’t that much fun and, because of both kids low tolerance for frustration and other social deficits, playing with each other usually results in fighting.

They will both drop screens readily for other activities, and love to be active outside, but default to screens. We’ve done lists of alternative activities with their input but, they’ll do the activity once or twice and then proclaim that it’s “boring”. I’ve encouraged them to make plans with friends, have them over, or go to their place (i’m in a position to take them if necessary), but their social and organizational issues make this a hit or miss thing. Plus, A LOT of their friends seem to have a great deal of their time scheduled with formal activities, so they’re just “too busy”.

I’m hoping that someone has some suggestions that could help because I have nothing against screen time but it’s getting to be a bit much.