Reply To: I went from a service industry job to a desk job! HELP

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done I went from a service industry job to a desk job! HELP Reply To: I went from a service industry job to a desk job! HELP

thepinkgoddess
Participant

I used to be a cook and I felt the same way. I struggle in a regular office environment. I found an office job that lets me train others, so I’m on my feet, every day and class is different, etc.
If you’re used to the physical work of a kitchen, maybe there is a job with Facilities or there is a more physical type of job you can get to maintain your insurance and pay. Or maybe they will give you a stand up desk?
I also have to-do lists in order to remember things. I start my day with a list and I end my day creating the new list. Allow for Carry Over activities so that you don’t feel guilt.
I also let my officemates know that I am ADHD. I explain to them that it’s easy to distract me, so if I need to focus, I may shut myself away from them with headphones and as others have said, put on something that I know like The Great British Baking show or something like that.
I also use that energy when I get home, as I’m an MBA student. I work out, do homework, clean, bake, etc. Like, I make it so work is more of a “rest” for my brain than anything else.