Reply To: Does anyone ever feel like they are just faking being a mother?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls Does anyone ever feel like they are just faking being a mother? Reply To: Does anyone ever feel like they are just faking being a mother?

EddieJ
Participant

Be encouraged! You are not alone! I felt the same way when my daughter was growing up. My housekeeping was limited; we ate more McDonald’s Happy Meals then I care to remember, and I was late for everything. I felt like such a failure. I was a single mother and seriously considered whether I should ask my brother and his wife to raise my daughter because I felt so bad at it. Despite my shortcomings my daughter knew I loved her. I also did everything I could to make sure that she was exposed to other women who had the skills and qualities I lacked. Over time, I’ve gotten somewhat better with cooking and housekeeping, but I’m still not like the women who are excellent housekeepers and time managers. ADHD doesn’t go away, but you learn coping skills. Anyway, my daughter is a young adult and she without prompting often tells me how great a mom I am and how grateful she is for all I’ve taught her. Though I didn’t teach her much about cooking, I poured into her using the gifts and talents God gave me and she has blossomed into an awesome young lady! I’m sure you have strengths that benefit your children and they will be the greater for what you do instill in them.